Question: Should Geographers use a Sat Nav ?

Shouldn't a road atlas and a mental map be adequate for navigating to unfamiliar destinations ?

Well, yes... Until today I would have agreed, but then with my new job and all that, and having to find my way to numerous new places in the middle of major cities, I went to Halfords and managed to get an extra bonus deal on a Garmin StreetPilot C550 which has British and European mapping, speed camera alerts (although I never speed), integrated traffic alerts and rerouting around problems, an mp3 player with SD card slot, and Bluetooth connectivity so that it can act as my hands free kit...
I'll let you know how it works later in the week when I have to find a Travelodge on some industrial estate in the North of England...

Comments

David Rogers said…
Shocking Mr P!

Interestingly I've just invested in a sat nav to ease the European road trip I've got planned for the summer - I still maintain though that all you need is a geographers brain and a post it note!
Alan Parkinson said…
I tried sticking a post it note on a Sat Nav screen but couldn't see anything...
David Rogers said…
Ha ha! Have to say that I took my Sat nav with me on the weekend and it was excellent! Only problem is not knowing how to get there again without using it again!
Alan Parkinson said…
Well, it's going back to Halfords as the traffic rerouting doesn't work...
Alan Parkinson said…
Now got a replacement Garmin which seems to work fine so far...
Anonymous said…
Am in the USA at present - have to admit to using sat nav whilst here and it has been great especially tellling you which lane to be in on the freeway. (P.S. having it in the hire car was recommended to me by a fellow geographer !!)

I know what am I doing reading your blog whilst on holiday ??
The O.S. shirt looks great ! Enjoy your hols.

Popular posts from this blog