2 RGS-IBG 'events'...

Just catching up with the Monday night lecture that Robert MacFarlane gave at the Royal Geographical Society on the 14th of April relating to his wonderful book that I have blogged about before: "The Wild Places". I was unable to attend this particular lecture (it being my daughter's birthday), but this is the next best thing...

It's available to RGS-IBG members, and I would recommend that you listen to it.
It's full of humour and powerful images, and introduces a new way of exploring the landscape: "border crossings" as Dr. MacFarlane calls them....
It was also good to hear mentions of some of my favourite authors: Barry Lopez (probably my favourite writer if pushed...), Colin Thubron, William Least-Heat Moon, Roger Deakin, Thoreau and Bruce Chatwin, and mentions of some of my favourite places, such as Camasunary and Coruisk on Skye, the Burren's limestone, Bleaklow in the Peak District and the wild expanse of Rannoch Moor and other 'emptied' landscapes of Scotland, and also the more local wildness of the Norfolk coast.

Some new avenues that I shall explore too: E.M Forster, the idea of "bollockshire", the tramping of Stephen Graham.

I'm delighted to be going back to the Royal Geographical Society in June for a rather exciting reason.

Every year, the RGS-IBG confer the
Ordnance Survey Award for "excellence in geography teaching in secondary education" on two people, and this year, one of those people is me....

I heard that I'd been nominated in February, and that I would actually be one of the recipients of the award in April, but waited until the official announcements started to appear in RGS bulletins. Some very nice comments being made by my 'colleagues' on the SLN Forum. Thanks for all the kind words. I'll report on the event in June...

Well done to Louise Ellis, my fellow recipient of the award.

I hope through this blog that I have communicated some of the incredible variety of geographical connections that people can make in their everyday lives, and will shortly be moving this blog to a new home based on the conceit of "Living Geography"...

Comments

Anonymous said…
Great news Alan - looking forward to hearing all about it. By the way I have some great photo's of me drinking single malt that I'll show you when I see you in october! OB
Alan Parkinson said…
Cheers Ollie !
I'm waiting delivery of the latest Ardbeg so will take some pictures of me drinking that... Unless you got there first...

Popular posts from this blog